We’ve arrived! The Curious Piano Teachers (and Ed, our curious elephant) are in Baltimore for the next 6 days attending the MTNA 2017 conference. True to our name we are intending to be curious about everything. As Sharon has a brand new baby I have been joined on my trip by one of our Curious Community, Angie Tse. And whether you are coming or not coming to the conference we would love you to join us on our American adventure.
BUT HOW CAN I JOIN YOU IF I’M NOT THERE?Well, that’s a good question. However, in these days of the Internet and Facebook live we are aiming to give you a feel for the conference proceedings and events as they unfold. More on that later – first let’s look at what’s going on.
PEDAGOGY SATURDAYIt’s going to be an early start as all the sessions begin at 8am! There are five threads running concurrently through the day:
- Musician Wellness
- Recreational Music Making
- Teaching Artistry and Technique
- Young Professionals.
CONFERENCEThe main part of the conference runs over four days, Sunday – Wednesday. Like all good conferences the schedule is packed with a whole variety of events.
- Presentations run from 9am – 5.30pm
- Exhibitor Showcases fill up any gaps before 9am and at lunchtime
- MTNA Student Competitions National Finals
- MTNA forums and meetings
- Poster sessions are being held on Monday and Tuesday.
- Master classes with Leon Fleisher (advanced) and Diane Hidy and Elissa Milne (intermediate)
- Evening concerts, including a recital by Leon Fleisher.
THE CURIOUS BOOTH #513We’ve been working very hard back at CURIOUS HQ to create all our handouts and freebies. We put Ed in charge of getting everything shipped out to Baltimore. He’s lived up to our expectations and it all arrived safe and sound. Opening up all the boxes in our hotel room was like Christmas all over again! We’ve got flyers about joining The Community, flyers for Let’s Play, flyers that tell delegates about my presentation – you get the idea. And then there are the PURPLE BAGS! Anyone who joins The Community over the next few days will get some fabulous curious goodies all in one of our distinctive and eye-catching purple bags:
- a membership certificate,
- a printed copy of our Guiding Principles,
- a set of 6/8 flashcards (that are seriously beautiful!),
- a set of practice stickers
- a small gift from Ed.