Are you thinking about attending Curious Live but just have a few concerns?
We get it. We understand that it’s a big commitment of your money and time.
You need to know that you are going to get full value out of the day. It’s not just how much it’s going to cost. Maybe you’re wondering how it will contribute long-term to your continuing professional development as a piano teacher.
Here are common concerns other piano teachers have raised with us and our advice to them.
# CONCERN 1 – ”I CAN’T AFFORD IT”
Some delegates have told us that they would love to come but are struggling to afford the overall cost of the conference, travel and accommodation.
- Can you find another teacher (or several) to car-share with? There’s plenty of free parking for the Oxford venue.
- One delegate who thought she couldn’t afford it had a student pay up front for a whole term of lessons. Could you do something similiar?
- Check out the cost of flights and trains – the sooner you buy them the cheaper they will be
- Sign up for the Early Bird ticket before 6pm on Saturday (13 January)
# CONCERN 2 – ”I TEACH THAT DAY”
Yes, we totally get that! In fact both of us are due to teach our regular pupils on Tuesday 20 February. We recognise that all of us have a commitment to our pupils that we need to honour.
- With half-term for many the week before talk to parents and adult students about moving lessons back a week.
- Tell them about the conference and what you are hoping to get from it as a teacher – they usually understand and respect the fact that you are taking yourself seriously.
# CONCERN 3 – ”I’M NOT SURE I’LL FIT IN”
Does the idea of walking into a room full of strangers fill you with dread? Do you believe that everyone else will be better than you and will ‘get’ it?
- This is going to be the friendliest conference you’ve ever been to – we promise! You’ll get to ‘meet’ all the other delegates in our special Curious LIVE Facebook group. When you see them in person it’ll just be like meeting old and familiar friends.
- If you sign up for an Early Bird ticket you’ll also get to meet the presenters on our live webinar on Saturday at 8pm.
# CONCERN 4 – ”I’M WORRIED I WON’T BE ABLE TO PUT THE IDEAS INTO PRACTICE”
It’s easy to get really inspired at a conference but then quickly settle back into old teaching habits and routines.
- You’ll be getting one of our fabulous Workbooks that we will be encouraging you to personalise throughout the day.
- To hold yourself accountable you’ll get to write a postcard to yourself on the day of the conference with your own action points. We’re going to post this to you later in March!
- The Curious Live Facebook group will continue the conversations and aid motivation until March 19th.
- The final webinar Redefining Expectations: The Way Ahead on Monday March 12 will encourage you to discuss the progress you have made so far and the impact the conference has had on your teaching.
# CONCERN 5 – ”I REALLY WANT SOME NEW TEACHING IDEAS BUT I’M NOT VERY FAMILIAR WITH PIANO SAFARI yet”
Some teachers have told us that they are a bit bored with the hum-drum routine of their current teaching. However, they’ve only just come across Piano Safari and don’t know whether everything will be above their heads.
- Curious Live will be crammed with new teaching ideas for you! The more you know and have taught using Piano Safari the more you will get out of that particular session. However, it is just one session in the day.
- Spend some time between now and the conference becoming familiar with the Piano Safari approach. Piano Safari has loads of videos to watch and Dr Julie Knerr’s mini-essays are a gold mine of information. To get you started here’s a link to The Benefits of Rote Teaching
We hope that’s helped to answer some of your concerns about attending Curious LIVE. If you have any other concerns please drop us an email (email@example.com) and we’ll get straight back to you.
Here’s the links for Early Bird tickets once again.
EARLY BIRD TICKET SALES END THIS SATURDAY AT 6PM
From Monday January 15th tickets will be on sale:
Curious LIVE Belfast: Members Full Rate £117 | Non-Members Full Rate: £167
Curious LIVE Oxford: Members Full Rate £127 | Non-Members Full Rate: £177
This blog post was written by Dr Sally Cathcart, Director and Co-founder of The Curious Piano Teachers